From a Facebook meme (with modifications) by a home schooler:
- PLEASE don’t expect kids to spend 6-8 hrs of school per day. That’s not how homeschooling works. Elementary: 1-2 hrs of school per day. Middle school: 2-3 hrs, High school: 3-4 hours. There are many resources available. Use them!
- Let them sleep in. It’s good for their immune system.
- No need to get dressed.
- Talk to them about what they want to work on.
- Let them be part of the planning.
- Include 1 hour outside. Sun is good for the immune system.
- Spend 1 hour reading.
- Institute chore time.
- Cook together. LOTS of home-school math is done in kitchens.
- This is a stressful time. Don’t make it worse by stressing about school.
- Be gentle with your babies and yourselves. If it gets frustrating, walk away.
An elementary school Principal wrote this:
This thing we are all a part of, it’s living history. Our children are all a part of this, and it will be talked about for generations to come. Schools are closed, sports are cancelled; people are quarantined on a GLOBAL level. The best thing your children can do is keep a journal over the next 5+ weeks. Handwritten, typed, in photographs or drawings record events, day to day activities, fears and feelings. Let them make a video journal if that’s the media they prefer. As parents, let them interview you, be a part of it.
When it’s all over, save it / store in a safe place for them. They will share this with their children and grandchildren. Help them create a tangible primary source of their own history.